Saturday, September 5, 2026

What It’s Really Like to Teach With Cochlear Implants

I teach in a hearing classroom, but I do not hear the classroom the same way my students do. I am deaf and use cochlear implants. They give me access to sound and speech, but they do not turn my hearing into “normal” hearing—and they do not automatically separate one student’s voice from every other sound in the room.

The hardest moments are usually not dramatic. They are the ordinary, repeated moments when a student speaks too softly or unclearly while chairs scrape, papers shuffle, the air conditioner runs, and another conversation starts nearby. I may hear that someone is talking without understanding every word.

Hearing sound is not the same as understanding speech

A cochlear implant sends sound information to my brain, and my brain has to make sense of it. In a quiet conversation with a person facing me, that can work very well. In a busy classroom, the same sentence has to compete with many other sounds.

This is one of the biggest misunderstandings about cochlear implants: access to sound is not perfect access to speech. I still use context, visual information, facial expressions, repetition, and good classroom routines. Some days my listening energy also runs out faster than people realize.

The challenge is not that my students have something unimportant to say. The challenge is making sure their words reach me clearly enough for me to respond well.

Competing sounds change the conversation

Classrooms are active places. That energy is a good thing, but overlapping voices make listening much harder. When one student speaks while classmates are talking, moving, or working in groups, all those sounds can arrive together. The student who is farthest away—or speaking while looking down—can disappear into the noise.

I do not want students to stop participating. I want them to learn communication habits that help everyone: get my attention, face the person they are addressing, speak clearly at an audible classroom volume, and allow one speaker at a time during whole-group discussion.

What helps in my classroom

  • Get my attention first. A student can say my name, raise a hand, or use the routine we have established before beginning a question.
  • Face me and speak clearly. I should not have to guess at words spoken toward the floor, a wall, or the back of the room.
  • Use one voice at a time. This matters most during instructions, questions, and class discussions.
  • Reduce unnecessary background noise. Closing a door, pausing side conversations, or waiting a moment for the room to settle can make a major difference.
  • Caption every video. Captions are not an optional extra. They give me and my students reliable access to names, unfamiliar words, and dialogue that might otherwise be missed.
  • Offer a written communication option. Students can use email or a school-approved messaging app when they need to explain a concern privately or when a spoken conversation is not working well.
  • Repeat or rephrase without embarrassment. “I missed that—please say it again” is a normal part of communication, not a failure by the student or by me.

Accessibility is not special treatment

These practices help far more than one deaf teacher. Captions support students who are learning English, students processing unfamiliar vocabulary, and anyone watching in a noisy room. Clear turn-taking helps students who need more processing time. Written follow-up gives shy students and students with speech differences another way to be heard.

Good accessibility often looks like good teaching because it removes uncertainty. Students know how to ask for help. Important information is available in more than one form. No one has to pretend they understood something they missed.

What I need from colleagues and school leaders

The most useful support begins with a simple question: “What will make this conversation accessible?” In a meeting, that may mean captions, an agenda, a quieter seat, or one person speaking at a time. In the classroom, it may mean helping students practice clear communication instead of answering for them.

Please do not assume that my devices solve every listening problem. At the same time, do not assume that deafness makes me less capable of teaching. I know my students, my subject, and the routines that allow us to communicate successfully. Access lets me do that work without spending unnecessary energy filling in missing words.

Why I am sharing this

I am writing again as Professor Jeff, Deaf Educator because deaf educators and the people who work with us deserve practical, honest information. Teaching with cochlear implants includes challenge, adaptation, humor, fatigue, and many rewarding moments. It is not one neat inspirational story. It is a profession I care about and a life I continue to learn from.

What helps communication in your classroom? Share a strategy in the comments. If you prefer a private conversation, use the contact form on this site.

This post describes my personal experience. Deaf and hard-of-hearing people use different technologies, languages, and communication strategies, and no single experience represents everyone.

No comments: