Archive note, updated September 2026: This personal milestone was originally published in 2016. The spelling, formatting, links, and video players have been refreshed, but the experience remains from that time.
Yesterday was amazing—a technological milestone.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but what about a video? I was able to record this special moment and share it with you.
First, let me take you back about five years.
Five years ago, I woke up with sudden hearing loss. I had no sound in my left ear and barely any in my right. My doctors suspected an infection, although they could not determine exactly what had happened because I was already taking strong antibiotics. I had to learn sign language and adjust my responsibilities at work and at home. I tried hearing aids for about a year. They helped at first, but my hearing continued to get worse.
You can read more on the original My Story post.
My first Advanced Bionics cochlear implant gave me access to sound in my left ear. This video records that first activation:
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8-Ltp09QYI
Video summary: Professor Jeff experiences sound through his first cochlear implant during an activation appointment.
Several years later, I found the funds to receive and activate an implant on my right side. I now had access to sound through two cochlear implants. Here is the video from that day:
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6B4RvnDqU8
Video summary: Professor Jeff shares his reaction during the activation of his second cochlear implant in 2016.
I am blessed to have the support of my family and friends. Cochlear implants are a personal decision and experiences vary, but I hope my story gives useful perspective to people considering their options with qualified hearing-care professionals.
Advanced Bionics did not sponsor this post. This is my personal experience, not medical advice.
No comments:
Post a Comment