Practical support for deaf and hard-of-hearing educators. Stories, classroom strategies, accessibility tools, and honest experience from a public-school teacher.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Jeff “First Base” Update

Archive note, updated September 2026: This recovery update was originally published in 2012. The spelling, formatting, links, and obsolete Flash players have been refreshed, but the events remain from that time.

Who’s on First? You have to watch this classic:

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M

Video summary: Abbott and Costello perform their classic comedy routine based on a misunderstanding about baseball players’ names.

Actually, I am on first—metaphorically speaking.

First base

  • Getting out of the hospital

  • Trying to wean off some of these medications

  • Receiving my daily IV therapy

  • Resting during the day because sleeping at night is not easy

  • Seeing all my doctors and getting an idea of what “second base” will be

  • Practicing stress-relief techniques when the pain in my ear is bad

  • Having no more unusual fainting spells

  • Getting through Netflix shows to take my mind off things—especially my favorite, Lost

I think I am doing well, considering that I have been out of the hospital for only three weeks. It is possible that I may need one or two more surgeries.

One would replace my InterStim device because its battery is nearing the end of its life after six years. At the time, I was told the newer device would allow me to have an MRI of my head so my doctors could look more closely at my ears. The InterStim surgery should not be too bad, but I may be off my feet for one or two weeks.

The second possibility concerns my ears. My ENT thinks something else may be happening, but wants the fluid behind my ears to clear before examining them further. I go back this week for a checkup.

I made it to “first base” within three weeks. I may try to steal second, but I refuse to sit back and let my mind turn to oatmeal—also known as mush.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0OIK53WedM

Video summary: Jeff gives a personal update about reaching the first stage of recovery and preparing for what comes next.

This is a historical account of my own care in 2012, not medical advice.

No comments: