Practical support for deaf and hard-of-hearing educators. Stories, classroom strategies, accessibility tools, and honest experience from a public-school teacher.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Ten Percent

Archive note, updated September 2026: This pre-activation update was originally published in 2016. The spelling and formatting have been refreshed, but the results and feelings described are from that time.

Before surgery, I had about ten percent of my hearing left in my right ear. I depended on my left cochlear implant for access to sound on that side. It was not easy to listen with very different levels of access in each ear, and I was amazed by how well I managed with the hearing I had.

After surgery, I was completely without sound when I was not wearing my left cochlear implant processor. I expected to have access to sound from both sides after my new implant was activated a few weeks later.

One thing I did better with that remaining hearing was combine sound with lip-reading. It was not easy to say goodbye to the ten percent because I did not know what complete silence would feel like.

The change created some communication challenges for my family and friends:

  • If I was not wearing my processors, they needed to write down what they wanted to say or use sign language.

  • They needed to be patient with me. At that point, I had been deaf for only five years and was still adjusting.

  • I needed conversation and listening practice as I prepared for activation.

I could not wait to begin hearing through my new bionic ears.

This post records my personal hearing history and expectations in 2016. Cochlear implant outcomes differ from person to person.

No comments: