Practical support for deaf and hard-of-hearing educators. Stories, classroom strategies, accessibility tools, and honest experience from a public-school teacher.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Jeff’s Cochlear Implant Activation

Archive note, updated September 2026: This activation story was originally published in 2013. The wording, formatting, and video player have been refreshed, but the experience and early test results remain from that time.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8-Ltp09QYI

Video summary: Professor Jeff hears sound through his cochlear implant during his first activation appointment after two years without sound.

Yep! That is me hearing sounds for the first time in two years.

My cochlear implant surgery was on November 1, 2013. The surgery was successful, with no major issues. I waited three weeks for activation, when the audiologist turned on and programmed the implant system.

I had high hopes of hearing something when my cochlear implant was activated on November 22. Everyone told me, “Keep your expectations low, but hope for the best.” I knew that many people do not understand speech on Day 1. The brain needs time and practice to make sense of sounds that may be new or may not have been heard for a long time.

I had been without sound for two years, but I still never expected to understand words and sounds so quickly.

Day 4

Four days after activation, my hearing test results were in the typical hearing range for the sounds being measured. Voices still sounded robotic and monotone, but I expected that perception to improve with time and practice.

I am thankful to Edie Gibson, who referred me to a doctor in South Carolina who took my concerns seriously and had significant implant experience. I also want to thank Dr. Erin at the Auditory-Verbal Center in Atlanta for patiently answering my questions, and my mom for traveling from Arizona to Atlanta to care for me during recovery so my wife could continue working. My mom did not have too difficult a time because I slept a lot.

I was also grateful for the support I received from Advanced Bionics in the days after activation. That was my personal experience with the brand I chose.

I hope this story is useful to people who are considering a cochlear implant with their hearing-care team. I am still deaf. When I take off my processor, the world is silent—but after activation, I could choose to enter a world of sound.

Advanced Bionics did not sponsor this post. This historical account describes my personal experience and is not medical advice. Outcomes vary.

No comments: