Thursday, June 16, 2016

10 Percent

Ten, 10, Percent, Statistic,



Prior to surgery, I had about 10 percent of hearing left in my right ear.  My left cochlea was already dead from my 1st cochlear implant surgery, do to hear I must turn on my hearing device.  But, it was not easy hearing with one ear at 90 percent and other ear with only 10 percent.  I am amazed how well I did with just that amount.  Now, I am completely without sound in both ears when I don’t wear my left ear implant.  I will hear from both ears in a few weeks.  The only thing I was able to do better with the 10 percent was understand people’s lips.  
It was not easy saying goodbye to the 10 percent.   I was not sure what it would be like with absolutely no sound at all.  I know it will get better with time.   This causes some challenges for my family and friends.  One, if I am not wearing my devices you will have to write out on paper what you want to say or learn sign language. Two, be patient with me because this deaf world is still new to me since I have only been deaf for five years.  Finally, practice makes perfect so I need conversation.   I can’t wait to have hearing with my new bionic ears.

No comments: