Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Thank You's













 

Saying the words, “Thank You,” is probably the best gift you can give to someone - sometimes even better than the gift itself.  I believe there is something magical in those two words.  But, of course, you have to have good intentions when saying it and not because your parents or someone else told you to say it.  In ending 2012, I was thinking about adding previous blog links from World of Silence where I would talk about how far I have come from being suddenly deaf to learning how to be at peace with deafness.  In this blog, I am going to recognize individuals in my life I want to say, “Thank You,” to. There are so many out there who have helped me accept my deafness, but these people really made a difference.






Monica Hood - Owner of Deaf-Insight.  Monica saw my blog on World of Silence, and I think I also found her website through searching information about deaf culture when I became deaf.  I submitted one of my stories to see if she would post it on her Deaf-Insight, not thinking she would, but she did.  Actually, she approached me and asked if I wanted to be a weekly blogger on her website.  When Monica invited me to write I didn’t believe her at first being new to the deaf world.  I still today have to take a step back and say, “Boy, I am such a novice at this deaf thing.  The other bloggers have been deaf forever compared to me.  How can I compete?”  Monica, keeps reassuring me I hold my own. Monica, “THANK YOU.”




Cynthia Dixon - owner of 4 Ears, 4 Eyes.  Cynthia makes me laugh.  She is the one person I feel very comfortable going to and asking questions about deafness.  I met her on Facebook when I became deaf.  Cynthia, I love your writing. You are amazing.  THANK YOU for being there for me when I needed someone to listen.




Judy Swartz (a.k.a “Mom”) - Sorry she doesn’t have a blog nor a website.  Oh well!  Parents never wish their kids to have to have any illnesses or disabilities, but my mom’s son did - deafness.  She was stressed out 3000 miles away in Arizona when I ended up in the hospital for 10 days.  I couldn’t talk to her on the phone for a long time because of my hearing recruitment or the cool technology I have today like my CaptionCall phone or ReSound Alera 962TSG hearing aids.  The only way she could speak with me was through my wife and even that was difficult because the sound of the cellphone was loud.  But, when I started my blog, my mom read my post and sought to understand. She understood that hearing aids were not going to create the perfect picture but just an aid.  Mom, THANK YOU for being there from the beginning of my hearing loss adventure.






Karen Swartz (a.k.a. Wife) - Should I have mentioned my wife first or saved the best for last?  August 28, 1999, we said to each other, “I do,” regardless of what happens.  But nobody anticipates waking up one morning to find your husband can’t hear your voice.  I know there are many out there that lose their hearing suddenly like me and some who lose it progressively.  If I had a choice I would not chose it to occur suddenly,so it would allow Karen time to adjust to my hearing loss until it was completely gone.  We have been married for 13 years and have been through too much over this period of time and to add a deaf husband.  Karen has been so brave, taken care of me and the kids while I couldn’t since I was in the hospital, and being sensitive when I needed quiet time.  Karen, with all my heart and soul, and not just because you are my wife - THANK YOU!
 

9 comments:

Monica Hood said...

I'm honored to be one of the select few in this blog entry! I hope you have felt welcomed into the Deaf community. I have always felt accepted into the this community thanks to my Deaf cousins, Deaf teachers, and Deaf friends. I know 2012 has been quite a change for you and I hope you continue to accept what life has brought you and where it takes you. Thank you for being one of the Deaf Insight bloggers that helps me continue to make a difference in spreading the word about the great Deaf culture and the people that are in it. Best of luck in 2013!

Anonymous said...

This was a nice post to read. Every one of these people are lucky to be in your life. :-)

Cindy Dixon said...

Aww...Jeffrey - WE are the ones thankful to be a part of YOUR life.

I've truly enjoyed your blog posts and though I've had a hearing loss all my life, you made me see things a little differently - through the eyes of a newly deafened person. I appreciate all you do to reach out to others and to spread deaf awareness.

Soon I'll get another post on my blog - thanks to your encouragement. :)

Monica Hood said...

I agree with these ladies! We are deafinitely lucky to have met you and be a part of your life! :-)

Professor Jeff said...

Thank you for commenting. I love my friends and family.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Lovely post. I am hoping my comment comes out ok this time, as last post had what I type in box.

Susana King said...

How did you lose your hearing and when did this occur? I like the way you keep everything so positive. Thank you is a very meaningful word.

Susana the Deaf Lady said...

Hi, How do I follow this blog? Do you have google?