Practical support for deaf and hard-of-hearing educators. Stories, classroom strategies, accessibility tools, and honest experience from a public-school teacher.

Friday, October 9, 2026

When the School Phone Becomes an Accessibility Barrier for a Deaf Teacher

To hear calls on the school phone, I need speakerphone. That helps me hear the caller. It also means my students can hear the caller.

That is a problem. A conversation meant for a teacher should not automatically become something the whole classroom can listen to.

I’m a deaf public-school educator, and I use bilateral cochlear implants. My implants give me access to sound, but the equipment around me still matters. A school phone can become an accessibility barrier even when it seems perfectly ordinary to everyone else.

Hearing the call is only part of the job

This difficulty extends to other non-cellphones, too. Speakerphone gives me a way to hear, but it sends the caller’s voice into the room.

I don’t need to share a real conversation to explain the concern. Imagine a call involving a family matter, a student concern, or information that should stay between adults. Those are hypothetical examples, but the privacy issue is easy to understand.

A caller may not realize other people can hear. Meanwhile, I still have a classroom to supervise. Stepping away is not something I can assume will always be possible.

I want a setup that lets me understand the conversation and keeps the caller’s voice out of the classroom. Both parts matter.

I’ve asked for better equipment

I have asked HR for a better device. So far, limited resources or funding for a compatible Bluetooth phone have been part of the difficulty.

I’m sharing the barrier as I experience it. I don’t have a tested replacement to recommend, and I don’t want to suggest that a particular phone has already been approved or ruled out.

What I would like is a practical next step: identify the equipment, check the possible connections, and test a solution before buying it.

“Bluetooth” sounds like a simple answer. Unfortunately, that word on a box does not tell us whether a device will handle calls through my processors and the school’s phone system.

Compatibility needs more than a label

Advanced Bionics provides Bluetooth compatibility guidance for Marvel CI sound processors. Its guidance discusses Bluetooth profiles and specifically advises compatibility testing before purchasing smartphones or other Bluetooth devices.

That is useful information, but it applies to a named processor family. It is not confirmation that a particular school desk phone will work with my equipment.

Before recommending a purchase, I would want my audiologist or implant manufacturer and the school’s technology staff to check:

  • The exact model of each sound processor and any accessories needed.
  • The desk phone model and the system it connects to.
  • Whether the proposed connection supports two-way phone calls, including my voice going back to the caller.
  • Whether the caller’s audio reaches both processors as intended without playing through the room speaker.
  • Whether answering, transferring, and ending calls still work reliably.

A successful pairing is a beginning. A successful call in the actual setting is the test that matters.

Options worth exploring carefully

A compatible phone or approved connection. A desk phone with the right Bluetooth calling support, or a suitable adapter, may be worth investigating. I would want confirmation for the complete setup rather than a promise based on one feature. A demonstration or loan would help answer that question before money is spent.

Captions alongside audio. The Job Accommodation Network describes captioned telephone calls as an option for people who have difficulty understanding telephone speech. Reading the caller’s words could offer another route to access.

That possibility still needs checking: service eligibility, connection requirements, caption performance, and workplace approval. I would also want to know how captions are displayed, whether they are retained, and who could see them. Captions should help protect communication, not create another exposed screen.

An approved computer calling setup. If the school’s phone system supports it, a computer calling application with compatible audio or captions could be considered. That would need technology staff involvement and testing. I’m not assuming that such an option is available in my classroom.

These are possibilities to investigate. I have not tested them as solutions to my school-phone problem.

A temporary plan should protect privacy

While equipment is being explored, I would like an agreed way to handle sensitive calls. One possibility is letting the caller know speakerphone is in use before personal information is discussed, then arranging a private callback when classroom coverage permits.

For some nonurgent messages, an approved written channel may be appropriate. Any temporary plan would also need a clear way to handle urgent communication. Moving everything to email would not solve every situation.

The plan should fit the actual job. It should not depend on leaving students unsupervised or quietly shifting all work calls onto a personal cellphone.

Small equipment choices can make a big difference

I want to do my job, understand the person calling, and protect the conversation. Those are straightforward goals.

Inclusive education also means paying attention to the tools educators need. Sometimes the barrier is sitting right on the teacher’s desk.

What helps you hear work calls: Bluetooth, captions, speakerphone, or something else? You can answer directly on Facebook or Instagram. One word is enough to get the conversation started.

If you’re a teacher looking for classroom materials, you’re also welcome to visit my Teacher A.I. Coach store on Teachers Pay Teachers.

—Professor Jeff

 

No comments: