Tuesday, October 9, 2012

How Did You Come Up With That Title?















Some people have asked me what “World of Silence” means.

We live in a world of noise.  There are several cities around the world that never slow down, like New York, Miami, Los Angeles, and Atlanta.  When you go on a cruise ship you can dance the night away and never be without noise.   You would think churches would value silence but not so.  There are some noisy churches out there that play music before, during, and after service, sometimes really loud Christian rock.  In movie theaters, you not only have the movie running but also people texting, chatting, unwrapping and munching food, and kids bouncing around in their seats.  Where can you go to have silence?  

Numerous studies have linked unwanted sound to increased levels of stress. Even low-level noise has been associated with increased aggression and other mental health problems, as well as poor sleep, high blood pressure, and heart disease.

“World of Silence” is about me suddenly going deaf several months ago.  I wasn’t a loud person when I was able to hear but I sure wasn’t a quiet person either.  “World of Silence” is about helping others appreciate a moment of silence, whether you can hear or not.  You don’t need to be deaf to learn silence so I challenge you to spend 5-10 minutes a day with no noise or sound.  I know it is going to be difficult but 5-10 minutes is not too long and you might just see how much you learn about yourself.

SHHH!  Quiet.  I am practicing silence now.  Are you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the title. Many hearies really fear silence, as they must be surrounded by noise. No thanks! I really do not prefer sound as it is extremely distracting! You are right, silence allows one to really appreciate themselves.