Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Social Web




















Spiders I can live without but spider webs I can look at all day long.  Spiders are such wonderful artists, the way they spin such impressive designs.  It takes about one hour for a spider to construct an elaborate web of silk thread, called an orb web. An orb web consists of a series of roughly circular, concentric outlines, with spokes extending from a hub. Orb webs, which are most noticeable in the morning dew, are constructed by many species of spiders.

About ten years ago I started spinning my web - the social web.  I started with stories about my daughters being born, my religious experiences, how I met my wife,  and stories about the personal struggles we all face.  Social media like Facebook, Blogger, Twitter, and other platforms gives us a way to be connected in a web as intricate  as any spider web.

We really are creatures of habit and we like being around one type of people until something forces us to move further out.  In April 2012,  I lost my hearing.  My social web changed that day from a network of people who were only in the hearing world to those in the deaf and hard of hearing world.  I believe the social web is about being part of a design, like a spider web, and seeing what a truly unique pattern we create together.  

No comments: