Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Decibel Hulk

As always to go along with my theme of "World of Silence" I present another movie clip to watch:





Let's talk about my "hate" word and what makes me turn into the "Decibel Hulk". 

What is a decibel?

From HowStuffWorks.com, "The decibel (abbreviated dB) is the unit used to measure the intensity of a sound. On the decibel scale, the smallest audible sound (near total silence) is 0 dB", which I love because there are some sounds that make me scream.  I don't really hear words right now without a hearing aid but I do hear sounds.  Here are some figures of dB and how loud things are.  

PARENTS please pay attention:

  • Near total silence - 0 dB
  • A whisper - 15 dB - this is what I can probably handle right now.
  • Normal conversation - 60 dB
  • A lawnmower and hairdryer - 90 dB
  • A car horn and babies cry - 110 dB
  • A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB - why the hell would you send your child to a concert without ear protection. I mean rockstars use ear protection on stage. They say 140dB you can have sudden hearing loss.
  • A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB
I went to Hobby Lobby the other day with my family to get out of the house for a little bit.  When I go outside the house I use regular earplugs but no iPod or cellphone attached to block loud noises.  When we arrived at Hobby Lobby, I went to see if I could find something there and asked a person for help.  When I was asking the question they looked at me in a unfriendly manner thinking having earplugs in my ears was rude but you can tell I didn't have anything attached to the other end. 

Please note:  If you see someone with earplugs in ears and nothing attached to the end there might be a reason not to look at the person with evil eyes. 

Anyway that was an interesting experience and I hope my writing with help you learn something about the world of silence.

Enjoy your day and make sure you protect your ears, you only have one pair.



2 comments:

Degree of a Polynomial said...

Excellent information provided.I also want to share some information on sound level.
100 NORMAL AVERAGE CAR OR HOUSE STEREO AT MAXIMUM VOLUME
117-123 HOME STEREO SYSTEM, A VERY LOUD AND POWERFUL 200-2000 WATTS
120-130 FRONT ROW AT A ROCK CONCERT- UP TO 200 REFRIGERATOR SIZE SPEAKERS AND 50000-300000 WATTS OF CLEAN, FULL FREQUENCY SOUND
130 (N)MARCHING BAND-OVERALL LEVEL AT A DISTANCE, 100-200 MEMBERS
142 (P) INSIDE A CAR WITH TWO PRO 18 INCH WOOFERS AND 300 WATTS EACH

Professor Jeff said...

Degree, thank you for commenting. I am learning a lot about sound. Do you recommend any easy books to read about sound?