Monday, September 10, 2012

Hear the Shofar - Not This Year





Shofar - Rosh Hashanah





I am what you call a "Messianic Emergent Jew".  I created a blog a long time ago which has a lot of writing that talks about religious and family stuff.  I was born and raised Jewish but accepted Jesus as Christ when I was 13 years old.  If you want to read more you can go to Still Jewish Blog.  

Anyway, I don't want to get too religious with this blog because there are Jewish people that think I am crazy to think I can still call myself Jewish and then there are the Christians who think I am too liberal to be considered a Christian.  I guess you can say I love God with all my heart, soul, and strength.  

Every year I go to a place of worship with other like-minded people who were once Jewish and accepted Christ as their Lord and we go through a beautiful ceremony welcoming in the Jewish New Year, which starts next week.  Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) starts first and then ten days later you have Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement).  During this time period you reflect on your possible wrongdoing towards people and make amends.  You see, God has already forgiven us so it's more about forgiving ourselves and each other, and in Judaism this is the time period to get your life in order.  During these events, as the link talks about above, "Shofar - Rosh Hashanah", the chanting is so beautiful and you get to hear the shofar.  Here is a sample:

 

I was thinking I will not be able to hear the Shofar this year.  After all these years of hearing it I will not be able to.  Yes, I remember what it sounds like, but I want to be able to experience it anew this year.  In all my years of going to temple I never once saw someone signing or providing any type of technology for the deaf.  How does a deaf person hear in a synagogue?  I believe most synagogues are not as technically advanced as  the Christian churches that use PowerPoint or Captioning.

I will have to investigate this further and see what Rabbi's are using in their services for the deaf other than lip-reading.

Even though I am not going to service this year because of my ear sensitivity issues, my new year will begin at the end of October with my new Cochlear Implant.

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND MAY GOD'S SHALOM BE UPON YOU
 

No comments: