Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rollar-Coaster Day

"Excited" in ASL

Today was a roller-coaster of a day.  I woke up not in the best of moods.  I was feeling sad and angry because I really want to hear.  My body has been through a lot in the past few months; bladder surgery and ear tubes.  Also I was in hospital for 10 days in June and still nobody knows why I loss my hearing as well as experience severe ear pain. 

Now, I have to look forward to nasal surgery in 2 weeks and hopefully squeeze in a cochlear implant in the next month before my short-term disability runs out by end of November. 

I have been in a waiting period for the past few days waiting for my ENT to schedule an appointment with another neuro-ENT over at Emory Hospital. I already went to one neuro-ENT a few weeks ago.  The first neuro-ENT said he would start with left ear implant and because of extreme ear pain he could separate the stapes in my right ear and wait 6 months later I get the second implant so I wouldn't feel so much pain from noise.  I don't have any issues with the 1st opinion but best to get another opinion since you only get one set of ears. I went today to my family physicians place to get my flu and meningitis shot.  While I was there I received a call on my cellphone, which I can't answer so I have to wait for call to go to Google voice-mail and for voice-mail to be transcribed.  It was from the ENT saying they made an appointment and it was going to be tomorrow at 9AM.  I rushed home after my shots and called the ENT.  I was so screaming with joy.  I thought I would have to wait for another few weeks to see the neuro-ENT.  I called my mom and text my wife to tell them the good news.  I am hoping to get my first implant around 1st or 2nd week in October. 

I went to the mall to get some lunch and make a cool t-shirt. 
Then I get a call on my cellphone and once again I had to rely on Google to translate of voice-mail and it was from Emory and it read, "in order for us to keep the appointment we need a copy of a cardiogram . . .".  I tried to list to the voice-mail but it was pointless.  My mind was going crazy thinking how am I going to get a cardiogram done before tomorrow morning and not have to wait for next appointment time.  I frantically called my wife on my cellphone sounding worried and said, "Honey, I can't hear you on my cellphone but please call the ENT and find how what they need and the Google translate said something like cardiogram.".  I rushed home quickly to find out it wasn't a cardiogram they needed but a copy of my audiogram.

I was relieved and everything is still on for tomorrow.
My day sort of felt like this:

Google voice-mail translate needs to get better.  But, by the end of October I will be able to take cellphone calls  - which is so cool!
Post a Comment