Friday, September 28, 2012

Sound with ReSound







Meet "Bionic Jeff"











Actually with all my gadgets in my body I feel more like this:






Everyone loves C3PO from "Star Wars"












I spent almost 4 hours last night with my audiologist.  I didn't even know I was taking home my hearing aids until she pulled them out started putting them together with temporary domes.  I got the ReSound Alera 9000TSG series but will eventually get the ReSound Verso.  I am waiting for them to add the TSG (tinnitus program) to the product.  If you are not familiar with tinnitus you can read about it here.  I needed top of line hearing aids because of my complicated hearing issue. I am definitely an atypical patient when it comes to medical concerns.  That was true for my "gluten intolerance", "interstitial cystitis", "migraine-lite headaches", and "loudness recruitment with sudden hearing loss". 

I am very fortunate to only be without hearing words for seven months.  I know way too many people out there that have struggled since birth or even several years.  I hold a very special place ion my heart for each of my new deaf and hard of hearing friends. 

Going back to last night and what happened.  I left audiologist office and rushed to my car to recharge my phone.  I then called the most important person in my life, which of course is my wife, on my cellphone.  She thought I was in danger because I haven't used the cellphone other than text for 7 month now.  I had to tell her I am okay but guess what,"I am talking to you on my cell phone and I can hear you clearly."  I started to cry.  I don't think my wife actually believed me.  I had to pull over because when my wife put my kids on the phone that was it for me.  I couldn't hold back the joy of hearing them talk.  I was crying so much my head started hurting.  I have missed hearing the words my special Abby (10 years old) and my witty older daughter Elizabeth (12 years old).  I called the rest of my family after that to share the good news with them.

NOW!  PLEASE keep in mind, hearing aids is not a solution to normal hearing.  I will never hear as a normal person again.  Once you loss your hearing and damage your ears - its gone.  But with technology today some are able to use devices to help or at least communicate using texting or American Sign Language on a videophone.  

My brain needs to hear new sounds I have not heard in awhile.  I have suspicion my hearing has never really been okay and when I got sick in April with mastroiditis that was the end.  My brain has to get use to hearing my own voice and others called a learning curve.  ALSO, hearing aids may not be the best option for me.  My ears are progressively getting worse and one day might need cochlear implants but for now I will enjoy my ASSISTED HEARING DEVICE.

Finally, even though I can hear with my hearing aids, there is still a special place in my heart for silence and helping the world understand silence is golden.

7 comments:

erinrae said...

I'm impressed that you could follow a conversation on the phone. That's awesome.

Professor Jeff said...

Yeah, me too. These puppies really very expensive but worth every penny. Let's hope my HA's continue to work without the loudness recruitment issue I have.

Thank you for leaving a comment.

Julie Waslo said...

Jeff, I'm so happy that the results with the hearing aids are so good. I know you've been going through a really tough time. I think about you often, and am so happy for you! Enjoy your new ears! :)

Professor Jeff said...

Julie, thank you for following my blog and sharing. It is a joy to hear not just sounds I never heard before like hitting keys on a keyboard but also words. You are a wonderful friend.

Cindy Dixon said...

Jeffrey - I'm SO HAPPY for you - glad they're working out well!!

Shanna Groves said...

Congratulations, Jeffrey! I am adding your amazing ear photo to SHOW ME YOUR EARS at http://LipreadingMom.com/Show-Me-Your-Ears.

Shanna

Professor Jeff said...

Thank you adding my adorable ears.