Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Nearly Killed Me Today























I knew it was going to be a really bad experience going to the diagnostic place today for my MRI.  I spent $150.00 for custom ear buds and used the  headphones thinking it will hurt but I will be okay.  YEAH RIGHT!  By the end, I was in tears.  I don't think the nurse knew what to do when she saw me crying.  All I could tell her was that I have severe recruitment and can't handle noise above 30-40dB.  She pointed out that most USA MRI's are about 140dB.  I immediately went out to get some Tylenol. 

I wrote about my loudness recruitment in an earlier post.  I recommend reading more about it so that you can know what I am talking about when I mention recruitment, which is different from hyperacusis.


There are some people in the deaf and hard of hearing culture that have hyperacusis and recruitment but from speaking with them it seems that most of them feel pain but it goes away quickly.  When my ears hear above a certain level for a short period of time the pain in my ear doesn't go away for hours.  The doctors are still not sure why this happens, but it's why I had such a difficult time with the MRI today. 

WELL THEY BETTER FIND SOMETHING OUT BECAUSE I AM NEVER GOING TO DO THAT AGAIN!


3 comments:

Cindy Dixon said...

MRIs are very painful for me, too. I don't know how anyone can handle 140 decibels of low pitched frequencies blasting in their ears for a prolonged time unless they're deaf. Feel better soon!

Professor Jeff said...

Cindy,
Also, when I walked in the office I told them I have severe loudness recruitment and I need everything they have to block my ears.

I guess they didn't understand what recruitment was because they asked me why I was crying after it was over.

Sensitivity training.

Cindy Dixon said...

UNREAL!!!!